Task Time Percentage: 25% (0.25) of the work week is spent on repetitive tasks.
If 25% of the work week is spent on repetitive tasks, that leaves 75% of the time for other productive work.
By automating these repetitive tasks, the entire workweek becomes effectively productive. The maths is simple: previously, only 75% of the time was productive. After automation, 100% of the time is productive. So, the productivity increase is calculated from 75% to 100%, which is about a 33% increase in productivity.
Or as we’ve shown in the calculator, this is a 1.33x increase in productivity.
We calculate a 6x increase in productivity because we consider that automation can effectively multiply the human work hours it replaces by both its speed factor and its continuous operation. In this case, it’s not just replacing the 10 hours spent on repetitive tasks; it’s effectively adding much more due to its higher speed and continuous operation.
This calculation assumes that the increased capacity of automation (working 24/7 at a higher speed) is fully utilised and directly translates to increased productivity. In real-world scenarios, the actual increase in productivity might be lower due to factors like the limits of how much additional work is useful or can be managed effectively.